Special Project Manager Assistant– Community Cycling Event
Canada Summer Jobs position
Job Title Special Project Manager Assistant – BIKEnnale/WALKennale
Status Contract, 8 Weeks, starting July 13th 2020
Pay $14.65/hr, Funded by Canada Summer Jobs
Hours Full time, 40 Hrs/week, day time hours vary
Application Deadline June 15th
About the Vancouver Biennale
The VANCOUVER BIENNALE is a not-for-profit charitable organization that celebrates art in public space by building community and transforming neighbourhoods into an Open Air Museum, where art is the catalyst for learning, engagement, and social action. Our goal is to transform the urban landscape, creating globally inspired cultural experiences where people live, play, work, and transit.
The team at the Vancouver Biennale has been responsible for bringing some of the most iconic and ambitious public art projects to the city and its surrounding areas. Yue Minjun’s A-maze-ing Laughter, the monumental WOW Westminster by José Resende in New Westminster, and OSGEMEOS’ Giants on Granville Island are just some of our projects that have become inseparable parts of Vancouver’s visual identity. Consider joining our committed team to be part of our innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
The Vancouver Biennale invites applications for the contract position of Special Project Manager’s Assistant for the Annual BIKEnnale/WALKennale. If you: love cycling and enjoy sharing your love of cycling, can organize logistics in your sleep, and can think quickly on your feet, this is the position for you. You will assist our Special Project Manager in executing a community event centred around cycling, education and public art.
The Vancouver Biennale Annual BIKEnnale/WALKennale “SIX SUNDAYS THIS SUMMER” will help Vancouverites of all ages and abilities practice what they love most – enjoying their cities outdoor public spaces in a healthy, memorable and safe way. For SIX SUNDAYS between July 26th and August 30th, join us on inspiring tours through 18 of Vancouver’s distinctly diverse neighbourhoods. Our easy to use navigation system providing clickable information, virtually highlighting each areas historically rich, architecturally unique and culturally profound areas along the way.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Execute all tasks associated with the BIKEnnale/WALKennale event assigned by the Special Event Manager
- Assist in leading and managing the special event, BIKEnnale, a community event centred around cycling and public art.
- Design and plan for cycling routes, activities along the routes, registration infrastructure, and all other components of the main event.
- Assist in the coordination with community partners, internal team, and relevant authorities to ensure the successful execution of the event. This including …
- Being present at each of the SIX SUNDAY events (July 26th-August 30th) by supervising the information and merchandise table on route
- Ensure the presence of 1-2 event day photographers
- Take stock of merchandise after each Sunday event, ordering more when needed
- Lead the set up of all event day equipment including route arrows, merchandise booth and any community partner booths
- Compile raffle entries, drawing and announcing a winner on the Wednesday of every week. Including organizing pick up of the raffle prize before the following Sunday event.
- Assist in executing a comprehensive marketing plan with the internal team, vendors, contractors, and execute any physical marketing activities. Including …
- Tracking and recording all participant submitted content
- Ensure social media strategy is being executed according to the defined weekly schedule
- Providing all sponsors/community partners with relevant media kits for promotional purposes
- Oversee the execution of defined event sponsor(s) and community partner(s) contract obligations and promises.
- Oversee all volunteers during, or after the event.
- Coordinate, purchase, and prepare necessary resources and supplies for the event.
- Continue to maintain and communicate appropriate reports and records for the event, including budget/actual profit & loss statement, participant forms, rolodex contacts etc. as required.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Successful candidate must be 30 or younger, returning to post secondary schooling in the fall of 2020.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the events industry, cycling-related event management experience is an asset.
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented individual with a strong work ethic.
- Problem-solver with the ability to work under pressure and adaptively perform under unforeseen and changing circumstances.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a history of well-established and sustainable relationship building and rapport.
- BC drivers license required.
To apply, please submit the following materials
- A cover letter that includes your availability, how your specific job experiences qualify you for this position, and why this position with the Vancouver Biennale interests you; please include a summary of at least one previous cycling event you have been involved with and or assisted with its execution.
- Your CV
- Names and contact details of at least two references
Please state “Special Project Manager Assistant –BIKEnnale/WALKennale” in the subject line of your email and send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Vancouver Biennale thanks all applicants but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Vancouver Biennale is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals. Personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, ability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.