BIG IDEAS Education Program
The Vancouver Biennale is committed to building a legacy of education, advocacy and social responsibility enabled through art. BIG IDEAS Education Program (BIG IDEAS) was launched in 2010 based on the same educational principles as the British Columbia Ministry of Education’s new curriculum. BIG IDEAS aims to build a creative, collaborative community connecting educators, learners, artists and researchers who in turn shape the program and strive for innovation in education.
BIG IDEAS has now reached out to over 10,000 Kindergarten to Grade 12 students, 128 schools from Burnaby, Cariboo, Coquitlam, Delta, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Richmond, Squamish, Surrey, Vancouver and West Vancouver.
BIG IDEAS meets British Columbia learning standards and facilitates core and curricular competencies development. The program features include:
- Arts Inquiry fosters discovery and creative learning through Biennale public arts and architecture.
- Arts Infusion facilitates expression in multiple art forms through artist-led workshops in schools.
- Cross-Curricular drives integrated concepts that weave multiple subject areas together.
- Socially Inclusive connects schools, grades K-12, not only in British Columbia, but also Canada-wide inclusive.
- Community-based bring students beyond the classroom and invite bring urban environments in.
- Digital Resources provide exemplary multi-media instructional samples and project toolkit.
BIG IDEAS Digital learning resources can be downloaded and printed free of charge by educators to assist in the classroom planning or personal, professional learning. Should you wish to use the documents for other purposes (for example, as part of a workshop or seminar) permission must be sought directly from Vancouver Biennale Education. Please email your request to email@example.com.
Featured Unit Plans
Featured Documentary Videos
Featured Learning Cases
Like what you see?
Learn how to donate