WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver
What’s in Store?
- 4 multi-media, cross-curricular learning modules and content created and led by Vancouver-based artists T’uy’t’tanat Cease Wyss and Olivier Salvas
- Students learn, then create and share through our new free WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver app
- Modules are self-paced and easily adapted by teachers for the needs of their class. Join anytime.
- Explore ocean health and the diversity of species and the ecosystems of the shorelines of the Pacific Northwest
- Learn about the relationship of local Indigenous peoples with the Pacific Ocean
- Learn about the effects of climate change on the ocean and the impact this has on ecosystems of the land of the Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh & Musqueam First Nations
- Explore through diverse inquiry activities drawing upon STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) principles and respecting the First People Principles of Learning
Who Can Join?
Participants: Students in grades 5-8, teachers and parents in the Vancouver area (open to the public).
When: November 6th 2020 until Summer 2021. Join anytime.
Cost: Free to participate.
Registration: Teachers can email us at email@example.com with your name, the name of your school, grade, and number of students to enrol your class. Program content begins November 6th and is self-paced. Classes are welcome to join the program anytime.
Beyond the Classroom
T’uy’t’tanat Cease Wyss and Olivier Salvas will be hosting a podcast (available on the app, online and on all streaming platforms) throughout the program where they further explore the topics in each module and will connect with the participating students and classrooms. Students and teachers are encouraged to submit work samples that will be added to the WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver web app or mobile app and discussed in the podcast, creating a virtual community of learners amongst all participants. In the late spring of 2021, all participants will be invited to take part in a year-end art project in Vancouver on the theme of giving back to the ocean inspired by local Indigenous practices.
Part of a Global Initiative
WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver is part of the international program WE ARE OCEAN curated by ARTPORT_making waves’ Anne-Marie Melster which aims at reflecting upon important questions regarding the cause and effects of the man-made alteration of the ocean. It will illustrate how we all, citizens of every country, both cause and are impacted by the state of the ocean but are also potential contributors to positive change. WE ARE OCEAN will act in an inclusive way by actively integrating visitors and participants in the discussions to search for bottom-up initiatives towards political change.
Questions? Ready to enrol your class in WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the teacher name, school and grade in order to register and we’ll help to get you started with the WE ARE OCEAN Vancouver content and app. The program content goes live on November 6th and can be explored at your own pace.